MTS Celebrates National Donate Life Month this April
Posted April 16, 2014 in News Category
Mid-America Transplant Services celebrates this April as the 11th annual National Donate Life Month. Originally a weeklong observance, it was officially recognized as a month-long event in 2003. The celebration remembers those who have given the Gift of Life and commemorates those who have received or continue to wait for lifesaving transplants. For more information about Donate Life America visit www.donatelife.net.
More than 1,500 people in the St. Louis area await a lifesaving transplant today. These people are our neighbors, co-workers and friends. You can help save a life today by joining the organ and tissue donor registry at www.mts-stl.org/join.
“While increasing the number of organ, eye and tissue donors that save and heal lives is part of our daily work,” says MTS President and CEO Dean F. Kappel, “this month serves to honor those who have made the selfless decision to give to others through organ and tissue donation.”
Mid-America Transplant Services is celebrating National Donate Life Month through several events in April. These events include:
- Donate Life Day at the Capitol. MTS representatives meet with senators and representatives to discuss MTS’s efforts in our communities.
- Governor’s Proclamation. Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon will sign a proclamation declaring April as Donate Life Month in Missouri
- Library displays. Several libraries in St. Louis City and County received Donate Life posters, table tents and a book list to create a Donate Life Month display.
- Blue and Green Day. On Friday, April 11, join the nation to bring awareness to organ and tissue donation by wearing blue and green.
- Registry drives. MTS will coordinate and participate in several registry drives in hospitals throughout our service area.
There are now 110 million registered donors in the United States. Still, the number of people in need of transplants continues to rise. The solution to this problem is to continue educating the public about the lifesaving effects of donation and transplantation and encourage them to make their decision known by signing up through their state donor registry.
Be a Hero. Save a Life. Join the Registry. www.mts-stl.org/join.