Winning the Lottery of Life

Read More Stories

Brenda Dreyer, Recipient

Winning the Lottery of Life

Posted May 26, 2011


My name is Brenda Dreyer and my story starts in February of 2005. I was feeling a little tired and noticed blood in my urine. I called the doctor and he thought it was a minor infection, but it didn’t heal. So, I called again and he had me see an urologist. The urologist did an exam and blood work that showed I had a kidney disease. After that, I went to the nephrologists and had a biopsy and found out that I had IgA, which had destroyed my filters and was in renal failure. I sat and listened to the doctor and wondered why he was saying this to me. Soon, I had to make a decision about dialysis and I did a lot of research about the different types. I chose peritoneal for about a year and a half and was able to do this at home. I had great support from the dialysis center and knew in the beginning that I did not want this to be my way of life. brenda-408jpg-web-res

 As soon as I found out about my condition, I interviewed to get on the transplant list. I think the hardest part is not knowing when it will happen if it ever does happen. People were tested in my family and my friends and didn’t work out. I continued to pray for my transplant, as did my church and friends. On October 8, 2006, I received a call from Barnes-Jewish Hospital to come as a backup. I was already on my machine for dialysis and I disconnected myself, as we rushed up to the hospital. We were calling friends and family to pray that this would be the call I had been waiting for. After all, I was only the backup person.

When I got to the hospital, I met the person who was called first. I asked him if he was upbrenda-dreyer-11jpg-2-ktt for the transplant. He said “yes.” I wished him the best and told him that if this didn’t work for him, I prayed it would for me. He wished me good luck, and I went back to my room, waiting to see who it would be. On October 9, 2006, at 8:30 a.m., the nurse said they needed to prepare me for surgery. I explained to her that I was only the backup person. She told me that they were waiting for me, so we needed to get going. As I told my husband to call the rest of the family to come to the hospital, I thanked God and prayed it was a good match. When I woke up, I was told it was a 5 out of 6 match. I was told the call would come when I least expected it, and it did!

“I thank my donor family everyday for the decision they made. Without them, I would still be waiting.”

 I feel very blessed to have come through this. I am very thankful for all the doctors and staff that helped me through this difficult time. I will do whatever I need to in order to keep my new kidney working. I know that what happened to me could happen to anyone. I thank my donor family everyday for the decision they made. Without them, I would still be waiting. I continue to do well with my transplant 4 years later and I am so thankful that Life Goes On for me! MTS has been such a great support!!

Brenda Dreyer


Take the next step. Enroll in the organ and tissue donor registry and save lives.Register Today

Comments (0)

Save A Life

Save A Life

One donor can save the lives of up to eight people and improve the lives of over 50 others.

Read More

Share Your Story

Find out how to share your donation story to be featured on our website.

Read More