After Donation Occurs - The Gift of Tissue Donation
- Families receive a letter 5 to 6 weeks after the donation telling them what was able be donated and how it enhances lives.
- Donor families are unable to initiate communication with tissue recipients because there is not a direct recipient at the time of the donation. Mid-America Transplant does not receive direct notification when tissue is transplanted and therefore cannot automatically forward this information to donor families.
- The gift of tissue can be preserved for up to five years. This means your loved one’s donation may help many individuals over a period of time.
- Although you cannot initiate communication with tissue recipients, you can request an update on your loved one’s gift beginning at 1 year post donation.
- To request an update please contact Aftercare at 1-800-925-3666 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Gift of Sight
- Corneas can be transplanted within the United States or internationally.
- If corneas are transplanted within the Unites States, limited information on recipients may be available.
- If Mid America Transplant recovered your loved one’s cornea, you can initiate communication through Mid America Transplant.
- If our partner organization, Saving Sight, recovered your loved one’s corneas, recipient information can be requested by contacting them here.
- If you choose to contact the cornea recipient(s), you may send written correspondence to Mid America Transplant. We will then forward your correspondence to the appropriate cornea transplant center. The transplant center will forward your letter or card to the recipient. Mid America Transplant has no direct contact with the cornea recipient(s). Due to the forwarding process, please allow several weeks for your correspondence to be received by the recipient(s).
Requesting Information on Recipients
Mid-America Transplant does not receive direct notification when tissue is transplanted and therefore cannot automatically forward this information to donor families. Information on recipients is limited because of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). Health care providers are prevented from releasing specific information about tissue recipients. Only the recipient may approve release of their information. Contact with the tissue recipients cannot be initiated by the donor family.